8.24.2006

Romania and Spoke problems

It took me 2 days and 300km to get from Budapest to Oradea the first town in Romania. It was a fast and unspectaculasr ride across the puszta plains.

on day11 I found a good Bike shoop in the centre of Budapest through the shimano.com shop locator. They said that the rim was still OK and did the centering for 4 EUR. I saw that the rear tire was broken - the reason for the constant wudupp-wudupp. Luckily I had a foldable spare tire with me.Next time I will take the Marathon XR instead of Continental Travel Contact that I'm riding on right now.
The rest of day was hangig around the Hostel and...yes, meditating. No Yoga bullshit but that 20 min meditation I've told about earlier.

Day12 (22.8.)got up at 6:30 shortly after the last ones went to bed. After 40 kms I had reached the eastern outscirts of Budapest and a road that was less Autobahn than the one leading to the airport. Non the less that day I had to go on the Euro Highway 4 that leads eastwards. It has exellent tarmac and with tailwinds I did 40ks in an hour but it is no fun. On the backroads it was the total opposite. No traffic at all, just the occasional truck carrying the harvest from all the fields there is. After 161kms I put up my tent and was only bothered by an unknown animal of unknown species and size at night that made quite some noise approaching through the brushwood and then just breathed beside my tent for a while. If anyone knows send me youre suggestions what it might have been. I don't really think theres bears in the plains of Hungaria, maybe a crocodile or camel...
Day 13 (23.8.)
If youre short with Hungarian Forinth buying breakfast with youre VISA card at a supermarket is a great thing. It just gave me the energy I needed after that exhaustive ride the day before. This time it was all riding through villages with people in amazement at the sight of such an unusual tourist. I was even able to send another packet back to Berlin. It contained another Kilo of stuff I don't need anymore (maps, books, handheld computers and the like).
Shortly thereafter I heard that knack from the back of my bike that tells me that a spoke was broken. Maybe carrying that Watermelon around all day was little to much. I was still able to ride the bike without worsening things. After another 40 kms of carefully avoiding every pothole I reached the Schengen Border to Romania. customs took only a couple of minutes and I was outside of the EU! The 15 km road from the border to Oradea is sidelined with either abandoned industrial sites of the sovjet times or new ones being set up with the EU accession ahead by the end of the year - or maybe next year...
Looking for a hotel in Oradea remained somewhat of an elusive quest that took two hours of riding behind friedly taxi drivers showing me the way to hotels where I was greeted with a frosty smile by the concierge telling me that not only their hotel but all the hotels there are are fully booked out and, no, there was no way of getting a room for less than 25$. All stupid bullshit of course.
It was the first time on this journey that I encountered that relict sovjet behavior of not beeing able to give a simple answer without having the carrot right infront of your face. But that was only in the hotels, on the streets everyone is able to have at least a simple conversation in english (I had BIG problems with these kind of things in the last three contries...).
Before going again out of town to find some camping resort that was promised to me by two very bright guys working in a pet shop I just headed for the university. I just asked two girls walking back to their hostel and they helped me through the negotiations with the doorman who initially had his doubts about all that. But then gave in and showed me a room that I could share with a young student of computer sciences. He only told me that I had to leave early in the morning (I think he was afraid of his superior finding out about that illegitimate guest)...He DID knock at the door at 5 in the morning.

Day14 (24.8.)

After sitting around the city centre watching the city getting up and to work I was looking for a "professional bike shop". Ended up on the basar but then went back to find a very unfriendly salesperson first refusing to let me enter the shop with my bike and then telling me just like those unfriendly people at the hotel that nothing was possible, in other wnot to bother them and fuck off.
Found the righ shop after all that has just opened while I'm still here tpin...

1 Comments:

At 8/24/2006 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

Dieser nächtliche Gast, könnte das vielleicht ein Dachs (engl. badger) gewesen sein?
lt. wikipedia: Dachse sind Allesfresser. Während andere Marder Pflanzen meistens nur als Beikost nehmen, ist der Anteil von Pflanzen an der Dachsnahrung sehr viel größer (etwa drei Viertel der Gesamtnahrung). Obst, Wurzeln, Samen und Pilze gehören zu den gefressenen Pflanzenteilen. Daneben erbeuten Dachse kleine Tiere wie Würmer, Insekten, Schnecken, Vögel und Mäuse. Er frisst auch die Gelege der so genannten Bodenbrüter und verschont die im Nest hockenden Jungvögel ebenso wenig wie Junghasen

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home